Jims take on the New England Trailblazer Tour Part One


I’ve been so busy lately that I haven’t had a chance to share the rest of the trip, but my wonderful husband wrote down his thoughts about the trip and that’s what we will be sharing for the next few weeks… As Jim puts it…

Demea and I took of on September 5th about 17:00 on our New England Trailblazer Tour. As Demea said in a previous blog, we had hoped to leave first thing in the morning, but because she had to train the new owner of the Farmington, MO. Sears Hometown Store, we just didn’t get a chance.


That first day we only got as far as Effingham, Illinois on our New England Trailblazer Tour. The weather was calling for thunderstorms so we decided to stay at the Fairfield Inn. On the way, we saw a billboard on the freeway advertising the Firefly Grill. Of course, Demea Yelped it, and when we arrived it looked like an old barn. I’m not sure if it really was or was just made to look like one, but I liked it. There wasn’t any motorcycle parking, which is pretty common, especially on our Travels with Harley.


As soon as we got through the door, I knew that Demea would appreciate the place more than I would. Everybody was dressed upscale, and we were in our Harley Davidson riding gear.

The service was pretty awesome. In fact, we didn’t even get our drinks that we had ordered at the bar because the hostess came and got us in what seemed like record time.


I ordered the New York Strip steak with whipped potatoes and vegetables, and Demea had the Scallops and Risotto that came with peas and bacon. We started with a Caesar Salad and bread and butter. Because we were on vacation, we decided to finish the meal with molten lava cake with blackberry ice cream and coffee. I really wanted the banana nut cake, but they were sold out. The entire bill with tip came to $132.00. Well worth it if you ask me.


During dinner, it started to rain, so needless to say I was really glad that we had decided to stop for the night. When we got back to the parking lot, we noticed a red Ferrari. I don’t know them well, but I think it was either a Modena or an Italia…whatever it was it looked like money. Luckily, the ride back to the hotel was ok as it was raining too badly.

The next morning we took advantage of the free breakfast. I had oatmeal and some bacon while Demea decided on the scrambled eggs, bacon, and fruit.


After breakfast, we headed out with an overcast sky, but had to stop about 50 miles into the trip because Demea was cold, and I hate to admit it, but I was too. It was so cold that Demea had to put on a hoodie under her rain jacket and me; well I put a heavy shirt on underneath mine.


It was only in the 60’s, but it rained on and off all day, which if you have ever ridden a Harley Davidson in the rain, you know that it’s not much fun. We ended up putting on our leathers at our first gas stop, as the rain gear just wasn’t warm enough.

I have lots more to share on our New England Trailblazer Tour, but you will just have to tune in next week to hear about the rest of the trip, including my take on Ben’s Mill.